Ecuador Visas FAQ and Tips

Ecuador Visas FAQ and Tips

The addresses and phone numbers of Ecuadorian government offices listed below are subject to change.

Who needs a visa?

Anyone from any country in the world is entitled to an “automatic” 90-day tourist visa (12-V).

If you plan to stay longer, or if you are drawing income from an Ecuadorian source, you will need one of the other types of visas for a stay of over 90 days.

How do I get a visa?

You can apply for an Ecuadorian visa through the consulate in your area. Check our Ecuadorian Consulates Abroad page for the one closest to you.

Where and how do I register my visa?

If you have a non-immigrant visa (other than the 90-day tourist visa), you have to register the visa at the Dirección de Extranjería at Av. 6 de Diciembre in Quito (tel 02-221-817; Mon-Fri 8:30 am-1:00 pm) within thirty days of arrival. You should bring your passport, certificado de visación (given to you at the consulate) and a copy of the same, copies of the picture page, entry stamp and visa from your passport, a large envelope, and a folder that can fit inside the envelope. Write your name, address in Quito, and passport number on the envelope containing your passport. Any materials or copies that you don’t have can be purchased near the Dirección de Extranjería at a small copy center. You’ll be asked to pay $10 USD, which you must deposit into the Ministry’s bank account at Banco Internacional (around the corner from the office). Someone at the office will give you the correct bank account number. Depending on the number of visas being processed, your passport will be stamped and ready for you to collect anywhere between one and five business days.

How can I get an extension?

If you enter Ecuador with a tourist visa (12-X), you cannot subsequently apply for any other kind of visa in the country. You must return to your country of origin to apply for a non-tourist visa. Applications for non-tourist visas are no longer accepted within the country if you entered the country with a tourist visa.

Citizens of the European Union, the United States, Canada, and the Andean community can apply for a 12-IX tourist visa without leaving Ecuador, for an additional 90 days in the country. They may do so once per calendar year, for an effective total of 180 days in Ecuador per year.

For more information:

Related Pages

Provider Spotlight

Free Galapagos Trip Planner at Galapagos Islands .com – easily plan your Galapagos vacation online, find great value, and a wide selection of customized Galapagos cruises and vacations.

Galapagos Tour Experts – Adventure Life Specialize in luxury Galapagos cruises, and land-based Galapagos tours. Adventure Life can help you design the perfect trip to Ecuador. As seen in Outside Magazine, NatGeo, and the New York Times.

Voyager Galapagos Tours haS excellent Galapagos cruise deals & last-minute offers, and land-based Galapagos tours (aka Island Hopping).

Galapagos & Ecuador Insiders use their local expertise to assist you in planning the perfect Galapagos cruise or Ecuador tour for your precise budget, needs, and interests.

Latin Trails craft customized journeys to the Galapagos Islands, the Ecuador mainland, the Amazon rainforest, and Peru. They operate the highly-rated Galapagos cruising yacht: Seaman Journey and the day tour yacht the Galapagos Hopper.

Andando Tours – Pioneers in Galapagos tourism. Two generations of sailing and shipbuilding showcase unparalleled knowledge in creating the most unique Galapagos Cruises. Owners & Operators of S/S Mary Anne & M/Y Passion.

Gulliver Expeditions – Learn more about our Ecuador ToursPeru ToursEcuador Climbing Expeditions, Galapagos Land Tours, and Machu Picchu Tours. Gulliver Expeditions offer fantastic travel experiences since 2005.

Surtrek Galapagos Cruises – has offered exceptional custom-designed trips to the Galapagos for over 20 years. They now bring their brand of off-the-beaten-path trips to other countries in South America such as Peru’s Machu PicchuBolivia’s Uyuni Salt Flats, and Chile’s Atacama Desert.

ViaNatura – provides excellent value Galapagos cruises on the Monserrat yacht, a luxury cruise experience on the Hermes yacht, and a variety of tours in Ecuador and Peru.

Exclusive Galapagos Cruises, part of the EQ Touring group – specializes in private Galapagos yacht charters. They can help your group find the perfect yacht that matches your needs at a price negotiated by a true insider who has been doing charters in the Galapagos for decades.